Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cover of the Day


This is an amazing collection of critical essays on PKD that I think is pretty hard to find. A friend found my copy at a library discard sale. The essays are pedantic as hell but they have a sing-song quality that's kind of nice. Peter Fitting in his essay "'Ubik': The Deconstruction of the Bourgeois SF" writes:

The traditional "representational novel" functions in this way as an ideological support for capitalism: it reinforces the a transcendental conception of reality which mystifies [poll: does he get the pun he's just made discussing Ubik?] the actual reality of the capitalist mode of production and the resultant repression and alienation.

The book even has charts:

Here's the weird part - this edition was published in 1983 - check out the blurb on the back:

"...has at last begun to receive the recognition he deserves..." ??

Here it is twenty-four years later and I still see that sentence in every PKD article I read... Something is out of joint; what could it possibly be?

2 comments:

palmer_eldritch said...

The Guardian in the UK always has someone saying 'at last, Philip K Dick's writing receives the treatment it deserves' whenever a film based on one of his stories comes out. They did it with A Scanner Darkly and they also did it with Minority Report, amazingly. They've yet to do so with Next, though. Can't think why...

jenny said...

Buy last chaos gold is the chance. Since I buy last chaos gold ; I had not had the bad memory. At present, I want to say thanks to the people who stole my account, if he did not to do that, I would not play it, I would not have lastchaos gold . Although I have little lastchaos money , I will on the way of the game for long time. I am a pessimistic person, but when I have cheap lastchaos gold , it changes my attitude of life.