Monday, August 13, 2007

Erik Davis to Teach 'The Crazy Wisdom of PKD' at Maybe Logic Academy

Author of Techgnosis (and one hell of a mean fingerpicker) Erik Davis (that's him on the right - jamming with yours truly on a brisk summer morning in San Francisco) sent me an exciting email today. He's going to be teaching a really cool-sounding class on PKD this fall. Even better it's online so we can all participate! Here's the info:

The Crazy Wisdom of Philip K. Dick
An online course by Erik Davis
Maybe Logic Academy (http://www.maybelogic.org)
Sep. 17 - Nov. 11

Once a purely cult figure, Philip K. Dick (1928-1982) is now widely recognized as a pulp visionary of the highest order. This course will approach his work not so much as science fiction but as crazy wisdom. We’ll explore how his texts seem designed to illuminate our posthuman problems and our most ancient philosophical questions — and to then scramble those insights with a cheap ray gun. We will read two of Dick’s major novels, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and VALIS, both chosen for their heavy gnostic themes. We will discuss drugs and archons and machines that break down, including, possibly, yourself. We will also explore the two greatest examples of the many PKD movies to date, the "new" Blade Runner version and A Scanner Darkly—further evidence that Dick’s spirit will only continue to permeate the culture at large.

Please check out
http://www.maybelogic.org/erikcrs.htm
and consider signing up!

Prices and registration info here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great! I'd think about signing up myself but I'm doing another course at that time - one nowhere near as interestng as Erik's, I'll bet! Ah well...

Anonymous said...

Just signed up yesterday. Eagerly looking forward to it. Techgnosis is an amazing book, so I'm curious to see what Erik Davis has to say on PKD.

Anonymous said...

Remembered the first time I played the game and bought fiesta Gold .it is very exciting. Since the first day I bought fiesta money . And I will not leave my fiesta online gold . My friends forever, even though I will leave you one day, I will remember you forever. I must use money to buy fiesta Gold . But I was not regret to buy fiesta online money .