Monday, July 30, 2007

Galactic Pot Maker's Tribute

Inspired by Joe Fernwright in Dick's 1969 novel The Galactic Pot-Healer, reader Karla has decided to fight the entropy, determinism, and tyranny of the Universe by making ceramics. Pictured above is Karla's vision of the pot Fernwright finds at the end of the novel. Karla writes:

"I just finished a ceramics course which I took after rereading Galactic Pot-Healer. I signed up for it so that I could make the pot that Joe finds toward the end; you know, the public-service announcement one. It's not my best work (actually it sort of is, because I haven't got a lot of experience in ceramics), but it's more or less what it was meant to be."

Check out the other pics of Karla's pot here.

Well done Karla! One of the coolest things about PKD is the way he inspires people to make all kinds of art: music, paintings, photo collages, novels, short stories. I wonder how many people make cool stuff after reading James Michener or Robert Ludlum.

I have to admit it's been really long time since I read this novel but I don't think this post would be complete without running a few lines through some automated translators:

"Inspired Joe Fernwright in novel 1969 of Dick decided the Galactic Pot-Healer, the reader of Karla the entropy, the determinism, and the tyranny of the universe to fight by experiencing keramiek. Above the vision of Karla of the gelukkige finds of Fernwright of pot it is described at the end of the novel."

Keep sending those PKD-inspired masterpieces Dick-heads! It's great to see Dick's fiction fight entropy, kinda like a can of Ubik.

PS: I'm still on vacation but this place has wi-fi!

3 comments:

drjon said...

I must admit to being very very fond of Galactic Pot Healer. It's a deceptively deep book.

Scarey Wilson said...

It's one of my favorites, too. Does the previous comment mean it's deeper or shallower than it appears on the surface?

Anonymous said...

Without hesitate, I bought Tibia Gold , in the game I can find myself. So I buy Tibia coins . At present, think the happy day I spend in tibia, I am eager to enter it, and buy Tibia money . Own tibia gp , it means that you own the life of happiness. So I will not leave Tibia Platinum .