Monday, April 2, 2007

My Aunt's Middle Name Was Penfield.



The "Penfield Mood Organ" that appears in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is one of my all-time favorite Dick gadgets. The device, which stimulates particular moods in the user (my favorite setting is 888 -- the desire to watch TV no matter what's on) adds to the total irony of the book; after all, the novel concerns the difference between man and machine -- which boils down to authentic feelings -- but the human protagonist Rick Deckard uses technology to produce his feelings.

Dick didn't name the device randomly; he was familiar with (and troubled by) the work of pioneering neurosurgeon Wilder Penfield whose autobiography No Man Alone is available once again from Amazon (after years of being out of print). The book chronicles Penfield's impressive career from developing new procedures for staining brain cells, to his remarkable techniques for removing brain tumors in conscious patients. Penfield would open the skull of the patient and while they were awake on the operating table he would poke around for the tumor (the brain has no nerve-endings that produce pain except in a tumor) and while he was rooting around in there, his patients often experienced remarkable sensations: hearing music, smelling and tasting food, vivid memories etc etc. These observations lead Penfield to do some of the earliest mapping of the brain.

Penfield is a legend in my family. In fact, he was my great-grandmother's brother (In a very Shakespearean turn, she died after Penfield was unable to fully remove her brain tumor). I read No Man Alone several years ago and really enjoyed it. While Penfield's work is legendary in our family and we like to think he did remarkable good for the treatment of brain tumors, Dick was deeply frightened by Penfield's observations. In his 1972 speech, "The Android and the Human" Dick said, "I wonder if you recall the 'brain mapping' developed by Penfield recently...By stimulating one minute area with an electrode, a laboratory rat was transfigured into a state of perpetual bliss. 'They'll be doing that to all of us, too, soon,' a pessimistic friend said to me regarding that. 'Once the electrodes have been implanted, they can get us to feel, think, do anything they want.'"

Ever the paranoid, Dick feared that unlocking the secrets of the mind would naturally lead to the authorities using this knowledge to control people. Perhaps he should have worried less about Penfield's techniques and more about the psychology of advertising.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

David:
A friend was good enough to forward me your blog address. He's a bookseller and knows how much I love the work of PKD. Years ago I was a member of the Dick Society and I think I have just about all of his books. My own writing has been influenced very heavily by Phil (along with folks like Harlan Ellison, Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont, Borges). I'm at a public library terminal right now and there's a one hour time limit but once I get the opportunity I shall explore your site with great relish. In the meantime, have a peek at mine (and may it provoke a smile or two).
Regards,
Cliff Burns

Anonymous said...

Say "Burnt Toast" to any Canadian, and they'll reply with either "Penfield" or "Brain Surgery."

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10211

giospurs said...

Dick was fascinated by Joseph Bogen and Robert Ornsetin's work studying the mind, and the difference between the hemispheres, which crops up in Scanner, so I wonder why he was so worried about Penfield's work. I know it's a lot more practical i.e. I don't think Ornstein did any actual experiments on the brain, but even so.

Anonymous said...

At one time or another, I do not have the LOTRO Gold ; I did not want to buy it. At the first time, I am not willing to buy Lord Of The Rings Gold . But I do not wonder I buy the cheap Lord Of The Rings Gold , my friend thinks that I am ill. But when I have it, it carries the magic from such a group, such a link in the world; it is the key bring you to this world. But buy LOTRO Gold is the best desire that I make.