Monday, December 13, 2010

Winter Break Reading Project


As I sit in my office with only one class remaining this semester, I can't help but start thinking about my Winter break. The plan is to write up a review of Rickels's book I Think I Am: Philip K Dick for the journal Science Fiction Studies. I also have some fiction of my own to revise and, of course, the band still takes up a lot of my time. But it's time to have another community read here at TDH. So, I'm going to ask for suggestions in the comments section. Personally, I'm hoping to read Ubik, Martian Time-Slip, We Can Build You, or Man in the High Castle. But I'd like to hear from you. We'll start reading the book a little before Christmas.

Previous community reads have included:
Galactic Pot-Healer
Maze of Death
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

Vote early and often!! Our pick will be announced towards the end of the week...

19 comments:

ct-scan said...

Out of your choices, I'd prefer "We Can Build You"...still haven't gotten around to reading that one.

Or maybe a mainstream novel...they always tend to get overlooked. ("Mary and the Giant" is next on my list...)

Anonymous said...

We can build you sounds good.

giospurs said...

I'd like to read We Can Build You too

FCBertrandJr said...

Why not ? It is a much overlooked book by the academic elites that gives an acerbic black humor take on politics, amongst other things!

Andy Ilachinski said...

My vote is for Ubik. It'll give me the excuse to reread that masterpiece, as my thoughts turn yet again to entropy ;-)

Mr. Hand said...

I need to finish both Martian Time-Slip and We Can Build You.

Mr. Business Casual said...

WE CAN BUILD YOU

absurdsense said...

UBIK, I started rereading it a while ago and for some reason got sidetracked. Although We Can Build You would be good to read again as well, seeing as I can't remember the plot off the top of my head.

FCBertrandJr said...

In my "rustiness" for posting, what should have come after "Why not..."
is The Man Who Japed...a much neglected novel by just about everyone!!!

Mr. Hand said...

I'd love to talk Ubik since it was such a huge influence on my "magic practice" in college, but it seems like Build is crying to be read. Perhaps we can reverse-engineer this "Build You" process...

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind going through one of PKD's 'mainstream' books, actually. They're sadly well-written, considering the lack of attention that is paid to them.

Humpty Dumpty in Oakland is a classic.

Darryl Mason said...

The one, the only, the best.

The World Jones Made.

Pollution Q. Thrashbarg said...

The Man Who Japed, Please ; )

Alex said...

We Can Build You please!

Joshua Lind said...

Well, my favorite of those listed is Martian Time-Slip, but I'm leaning toward voting for a "mainstream" novel. Someone suggested "Humpty Dumpty in Oakland" -- I just bought that one recently and would love to have some fellow readers....

phirki phat said...

I vote for 'We Can Build You.' It's been years since i've read it.

John Alan Simon said...

How about Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said? There are really quite a few mysteries to unravel in that book. And having written the screenplay would love some help from the brilliant scholar/fans!

Anonymous said...

Joshua - 'Humpty Dumpty' is an excellent read. Great way to spend a few afternoons.

ct-scan said...

John Alan Simon, how about we read your screenplay! =)