Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rare PKD Photo of the Day


This is a great shot of PKD that Anne Dick sent me a while ago. This photo was taken at the house in Point Reyes in 1963. Anne writes:

"This is a picture of Hatte and Laura in 1963, maybe a May birthday dinner for Hatte since it's still so light. We sat down for dinner together every night and always made a big deal out of birthdays. Once in a while Phil would barbecue. I liked this, no pots and pans to wash -- although Phil usually did the dishes as I recall and made the desserts. He was a very pleasant family person and seemed to enjoy life with us."

Hatte was Anne's daughter by her previous husband, poet Richard Rubenstein, and of course Laura (the younger of the two girls in the picture) is PKD's first child and now works with Isa Dick-Hackett steering the PKD Trust, and Electric Shepherd Productions. I get the sense from both Anne, as well as PKD's depiction of the family in Confessions of a Crap Artist, that the early years in Point Reyes were very happy.

The exciting coda for this post is an announcement that Anne Dick is republishing her memoir The Search for Philip K Dick. Edwin Mellon Press printed a limited run of Anne's memoir in 1993, and today that memoir often sells for over a hundred dollars. Anne has worked very hard this last year revising the book, and is self-publishing it later this summer. I'm excited about this, because it's a great book, gives tons of insight into PKD, and what it was like living with him. I can't wait for more Dick-heads to get a chance to read it. More info about the book and how to buy it will be forthcoming. But, just to get a sense of what demand is like, if you may be interested in buying the book (estimated cost is about $17.00) please leave a note in the comments section.

29 comments:

Andrew TSKS said...

I'd love to read Anne's book. Let us know when it's available for order and I will gladly order myself a copy.

Abe (Sydney, AUS) said...

Add me too to list, love PKD's work, PKD, his people and everything influenced from his work.

John said...

Me too

ct-scan said...

I'll certainly pick up a copy as well.

Chris Mays said...

I got the limited edtion back in the day, but I'm up for a new edition, yes please!

Anonymous said...

I've long hoped Anne's book would be brought out in a more affordable edition -- I'll buy it the day it's published.

Robert Cook said...

I'll certainly snap it up if it's priced reasonably, i.e., less than a hundred dollars!

Let's have it!

Anonymous said...

I would definitely want to buy a copy!

Unknown said...

This is great news! Tell us when we can pre-order. Many thanks!

Unknown said...

Count me in for this!

palmer_eldritch said...

Yup, me too. If I can get it to the UK without murderous postage costs, that is!

blivet said...

Me too!

Anonymous said...

I've read the biography years ago for my doctoral thesis on PKD. It is quite good, an easy read, sometimes a little too subjectively biased, though. As I borrowed it from the library back then, I guess I will buy the revised edition too.
KI, Germany

Variations On A Theme said...

I'd be very interested in buying the book. I'm just starting to research biographical information about Dick and keep coming up with conflicting "facts" about his life.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I feel like I already got the whole story from "Clans of the Alphane Moon"!

Matt_Mulder said...

i'd like to get a copy, but given what PKD thought of her, I think it would be giving money to somebody who caused him a great deal of trouble.

Matt_Mulder said...

my HOAX bell is ringing. This book is a money-making thing, and remember he didn't feel so good when he was with Anne. I feel it like a treason. :)

Anonymous said...

i stopped by her place a couple of years ago while working in Pt. Reyes. she mentioned a book she was working on and its so good to hear this will be available for us once again.

i'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Ragle Gumm said...

Matt,
Look up the word 'Hoax' - you're not even close.

Also, don't be so sure you know how PKD felt (about anything or anyone). He visited Anne quite a bit after they were married...

Steven Hart said...

I'm in for a couple.

救援部 said...

夏真っ盛り!女の子は開放的な気分で一人Hしたくてウズウズしてるっ!貴方は女の子のオ○ニーを見て気分を高めてあげてネ!もちろん、お手伝いしてもオッケーだよ!さぁ、今すぐ救援部にアクセスしよっ

メル友 said...

プロフ作成記念に嬉しくなって写メも載せちゃいましたぁ。皆さん見てください。できればメールの方に感想なども欲しいなぁ!夏休みなので暇してます。natu.no.natuyasumi@docomo.ne.jp

家出 said...

最近様々なメディアで紹介されている家出掲示板では、全国各地のネットカフェ等を泊り歩いている家出少女のメッセージが多数書き込みされています。彼女たちはお金がないので掲示板で知り合った男性とすぐに遊びに行くようです。あなたも書き込みに返事を返してみませんか

救援部 said...

オ○ニーライフのお手伝い、救援部でHな見せたがり女性からエロ写メ、ムービーをゲットしよう!近所の女の子なら実際に合ってHな事ができちゃうかも!?夏で開放的になっている女の子と遊んじゃおう

一人H said...

一人Hを男性に見てもらうことで興奮する女性が多数いることをご存じですか?当サイトではそんな女性たちが多数登録されています。男性会員様は彼女たちのオ○ニーを見てあげるだけで謝礼を貰えるシステムとなっております

高級チェリー said...

童貞を奪ってみたい女性たちは、男性にとって「初体験」という一生に一度だけの、特別なイベントを共に心に刻み込むことを至上の喜びにしているのです。そんな童貞好きな女性たちと高級チェリーで最高のSEXをしてみませんか

スタービーチ said...

釦覀꟣芻菣芯맣莑볣莈諣莼鋦躢鷣膆臨ꪰ苣膌藣膡飣膳鿣芹뿣莼鏣莼臣膮ꧦ뒻臯벁诣莥볣芹뿣莼鏣莼臣膧ꫤ붓鏣膮꟣膂蓣芒鿦蒟韣膦诣膕

スタービーチ said...

スタービーチが完全リニューアルして復活しました!!あの伝説級のであい系サイトが満を持して再降臨。煌めくような今この瞬間にあなたの胸にもときめきをお届けします

スタービーチ said...

であい系の元祖はやっぱりスタービーチ!初めてであい系にチャレンジする娘も多いここならゲット率は最強